Friday, April 14, 2006

Better late than never...

My mother-in-law gave me this amaryllis in one of the those bulb-in-a-box kits for Christmas 2004. I brought it home, planted it, put it in an upstairs window and it promptly shot out four leaves...and that was it. Until now.

A few weeks ago a flower stalk poked its way out of the bulb. I've been watching its growth with interest, wondering what prompted its appearance, more than a year after being planted. Was it the time change and the longer days? Does it somehow know that Easter is coming?

Whatever the reason, I'm glad I didn't throw it out like I considered doing several times. My patience (or laziness) has been rewarded with lovely glowing red blooms.

Happy Easter and have a great weekend!

8 Comments:

At 4/14/06, 6:19 PM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

This is wonderful - thank you for sharing you Easter surprise Lily! My father gave me one of the exact same bulb-in-a-box amaryllis right before I left Washington (a white one). Sadly, it totally froze to death in the trailer during our drive across the country. Yours is beautiful!

 
At 4/20/06, 8:54 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I have several Amaryllis bulbs and they typically are quick bloomers and shoot up 2-3 stalks. The key is ensuring that the pot isn't too big, it shouldn't be more than 1 inch larger than the bulb, and as Amaryllis are tropical they also need to be placed in a warm well-lit spot to bloom their best. I'm happy that yours came through for you! ;-)

 
At 4/20/06, 9:44 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

JLB, how sad that yours froze. It must have been a cold trip!

Crystal, I was really amazed that it finally bloomed. I thought for sure it was a dud. It's definitely in a well-lit window, so maybe it was the pot. Anyway, I'm glad it came through, too, and it's still going strong!

 
At 4/20/06, 1:35 PM, Blogger Mridula said...

The flowers do look lovely.

 
At 4/20/06, 1:40 PM, Blogger christina said...

Incredible that it suddenly decided to bloom after all that time. The amaryllis plants we've had have also been very quick to bloom (and then die because I'm great at killing houseplants). Hope yours lasts a long time!

 
At 4/22/06, 6:50 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Mridula, they're are only partially open in the picture, but I really like the way the sun lights up the petals.

Christina, I was extremely surprised to see it bloom after so long. Now I don't know if I should expect it to ever bloom again. :)

 
At 4/22/06, 9:33 PM, Blogger Modigliani said...

gorgeous! It's hard to beleive it's real, actually. The white background makes this picture look like a studio shot.

 
At 4/24/06, 10:54 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

The white background is a window fogged from the shower with the sun shining through. It's starting to die now, but I never got tired of looking at it; I took tons of pictures from all angles. :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home