Monday, March 13, 2006

A Walk on the Waterfront

The sun finally started producing heat, so I decided to get out of the house and take a walk on the Waterfront Trail. My mistake was forgetting that it's about 20° cooler along the waterfront than at my house, but it was still a lovely sunny day.


The trail runs from City Pier, downtown, along the harbor and eventually to the next city over. It is prime bird-watching territory, with lots of benches from which to watch them. From the bench where I stopped to eat my sandwich I could see a pair of eagles fishing together, a great blue heron gliding to a landing on a piling, cormorants and a loon fishing and dozens of ducks.











American Widgeon











Harlequin Ducks and Seagull


















Bald Eagle Pair










Red-Breasted Merganser












Barrow's Goldeneye


At the beginning of the trail is a small pond with clumps of cattails, water low at this time of year, where mallards nest and raise their families. In warm weather, raccoons come out to beg for handouts from passers-by. Under the canopy of maples, ferns thrive and salmon-berries are just beginning to flower. Outside the harbor, a container ship passes by on its way to Seattle. In the summer, children will play on the beach and swim in the water, but now the tide line is marked by piles of red seaweed, drying in the sun. Days like this are what make small coastal towns great places to live.
















Hanjin container ship bound for Seattle. The hills of Vancouver Island, Canada are in the background.

















A nuclear cloud...or is it nucular?

5 Comments:

At 3/18/06, 3:47 AM, Blogger Mridula said...

What beautiful pictures Lily. Sounds like such a pleasent day out. It is impossible to imagine such places while I sit in this concrete jungle. Your post makes me long for a vacation.

 
At 3/19/06, 5:04 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Thanks Mridula. Other than being cold it was great. Every so often I wish I lived in a city for the conveniences and variety, but most days I'm glad to live here. Your trekking posts always make me want to fly to India and join you. :)

 
At 3/20/06, 7:40 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I like going out to the lake, but I also tend to forget that "it's about 20degrees cooler along the waterfront". That's the unfortunate thing about living in a cold climate like Chicago, you're pretty much confined indoors 5mos out of the year. GREAT pics of the birds! I'm planning on doing some bird-watching when I go to East Africa and there's this field guide that I want to buy, birds never fascinated me much before but now I am SO into birds!

 
At 3/20/06, 9:33 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Fortunately, the climate is pretty mild here all year, but yeah, I was wishing for gloves.

I've gotten really into bird-watching in the last several years, although I'm very much an amateur in the birding world. We went to a presentation last year given by a man who had traveled in Africa for several months. He talked about always wanting to stop for birds and driving his companions nuts because they could care less about them. He managed to get lots of great pictures, though.

 
At 3/23/06, 12:04 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

My husband studied ornithology also. He used to be good at identifying birds by their calls, but I'm lucky to identify them by sight.

I was lucky enough to see two Bald Eagles mating once. They grapple in mid-air and free-fall until the last possible second. An amazing sight! I wish I hadn't been so far from this pair while they flew together.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home