Tuesday, April 11, 2006

Salmon, garlic fries and chocolate-covered strawberries: baseball in Seattle.


We were very kindly given tickets to last Friday's Mariners baseball game, which marks the first time we've been to one since college, when the Mariners played in the Kingdome, prior to the roof tiles falling into the crowd and the whole stadium eventually being demolished. In other words, it's been awhile. Now the Mariners have a lovely new stadium with a roof that opens and no one has to worry about being crushed by crumbling architecture.

There's not much to say about the game itself; the Mariner's lost 0-5 without putting up much of a fight. We had great seats looking down the third base line and much of the evening's excitement came from trying to anticipate where the foul balls, of which there were many, would land. I entertained myself by taking rapid fire pictures of the pitchers and wondering if I'd see a stray ball before it hit me square in the lens.

One of the great things about the early season is that the stadium was nearly full. If the season goes badly, attendance drops and so does the energy of the crowd. The people behind us were particularly energetic and happily sang along to every song played over the loudspeakers. Fortunately, they were funny rather than irritating, although I could have done without sitting next to the man scarfing garlic fries. Whoever decided that serving those foul things in a confined public place is either an idiot or completely lacks a sense of smell. I love garlic, but the odor bordered on offensive.

Anyway, despite the run-in with nasal death, it was a fun night. 'Nuff said.

5 Comments:

At 4/12/06, 1:59 PM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

Greetings! You know, at one point my partner worked in a building in Pioneer Square that looked out on the Kingdome Rubble Pile! I spent many an after-hours there smoking cigarettes and watching them scoop rubble into different piles according to size and material. :)

But that's neither here nor there.

Forgive me for this off-topic comment, but if you can, take a moment to vote for your favorite WA State Quarter design. My money is totally on the Orca Whale (number 3).

Washington State Quarter
http://www.governor.wa.gov/quarter/

 
At 4/14/06, 10:39 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

I was living in Arizona when the Kingdome was imploded, but it made the news there and I remember watching it come down. Safeco Field is a much nicer stadium, partly because of the roof that opens.

Thanks for the reminder about the quarter. The voting was hijacked over the weekend so I was waiting until it was straightened out, but now, vote cast!

 
At 4/14/06, 12:20 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I know what you mean about early season enthusiam. I went to the opening game of the Chicago Bulls and had such a wonderful time, despite not being much of a sports fan (my job provided heavily discounted tickets). When the WHITE SOX won the World Series, Chicago was just raging with fan pride and that was awesome to witness. Btw, if you catch a summer movie called "The Breakup" starring Jen & Vince, be on the lookout for me during the Cubs game scene. Yes, I was an extra in that film!

 
At 4/14/06, 3:06 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

It's so easy to get caught up in the energy of an exciting game, even if you're not a sports fan.

I'll put The Breakup on my rental list just to look for you. How cool!

 
At 4/14/06, 6:16 PM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

OOo, I'll be looking for you too Crystal!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home