Sunday, March 05, 2006

Toxic

This is all that's left of the lovely loaf of banana bread I baked yesterday. We went out to dinner last night and returned to find my first experiment with making nutty, fruity bread missing and one very guilty dog: Jake.

Jake has discovered that, though he's not a large dog, he is agile enough to reach the countertops in the kitchen. The bread was pushed to the back and left unwrapped because it was still cooling when we left. Obviously the back of the countertop is no longer a safe zone.

To add insult to injury, banana is among the most toxic of fuels that you can feed a dog. Jake spent ALL NIGHT LONG trying to kill us in our sleep. I woke up several times gasping for breath. At one point I got up and started flapping the bedroom door in an effort to let in some untainted air. Why not kick him out? He feels entitled to sleep in the bedroom and if denied the privilege, will scratch at the door and whimper until let in.

I'm ready to declare Jake a chemical weapon and send him to the front lines. Or maybe the White House.

6 Comments:

At 3/5/06, 11:52 AM, Blogger christina said...

LOL! My family is wondering why I just burst out laughing. :-) I may think twice about getting a dog now.

 
At 3/5/06, 4:05 PM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

Hi Lily! I had to pop over and see what you're up to; thanks for paying me a visit.

Oh boy, do I ever know what you mean about the chemical warfare with the dogs! We have two dogs, and some nights, I start to wonder if it might be healthier for ME to sleep outside in a dog house. They are classified SBD - silent, but deadly.

So sorry about the banana bread... you know, those dogs might look guilty on the outside, but they're smiling with satisfaction on the inside! :)

 
At 3/5/06, 6:26 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Christina, by all means get a dog, just don't feed it banana. :)

jlb, thanks for visiting. I'm sure Jake was especially satisfied with himself; he's just that kind of dog.

Our old dog was frequently SBD, but occasionally he'd make a noise and startle himself. It was pretty comical when he'd whip his head around to stare at his tail, then get up and leave the room.

 
At 3/7/06, 3:02 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

This makes me grateful for having a set of 8-inch-tall dogs! ;-) I guess Jake was one happy camper!

 
At 3/10/06, 2:52 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Meg is probably the best choice since we're doing a pretty good job of feeling sorry for ourselves. :)

Fortunately, Jake has never been into sleeping on our bed. He really prefers his own bed on the floor. Usually he's so quiet that you never know he's there, but gas doesn't repsect personal space.

P.S. Thanks! I still have lots of pictures to add when I get a chance.

 
At 3/12/06, 11:50 PM, Blogger Mridula said...

Wow, and I thought handeling nephews was difficult. Compared to all this they are little lambs but I really wonder what do little lambs behave like in reality!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home