Sunday, March 19, 2006

India on my mind

We recently watched Born Into Brothels, a documentary about children of Calcutta who live in the red light district, are given cameras and taught photography, and take the opportunity to change their lives. Because the children speaking to the camera was a large part of the film, but there were no subtitles, I spent a lot of time looking at the scenery in the background.

It's been two months since we came home from India and traveler's amnesia has set it. The frustration of dealing with touts, the discomfort of long-distance travel and the itch of ant bites have faded to dim and painless memories. While we didn't visit Calcutta, the surroundings of the movie were familiar: Rickshaws darting through traffic; cows, dogs, goats, pigs, cars, bicycles and people all competing for the same bit of space; tiny corner stalls selling everything from laundry soap packets to potato chips; more people than seems possible packed into one vehicle.

Though I managed to take more than 2000 photos during the trip, there were many photos I didn't take, usually when I preferred to interact with the people around me rather than put a camera between us. The memories of the moments I didn't capture on "film," rather than fading like the unpleasant parts, are crystallizing and remaining strong. A few of my mental photos:

Driving through a tiny village in Rajasthan, a tiny girl by the roadside bends down to scoop up dirt in each hand, stands up with her arms extended and throwing her head back, spins to let the dirt fly.

Bicycles with enormous loads of brilliantly colored plastic jugs and buckets tied to the back.

Weaving through the outdoor market in Ooty. Light filters through the canopy overhead and highlights hanging bunches of bananas, neatly stacked piles of oranges and pinapple, cabbages and eggplant. A vendor offers me a piece of fruit, no charge, when I stop to ask what it is.

The peace and quiet of a hidden courtyard when a family lets me in to use their bathroom because there is no public toilet in the small town. From inside it's impossible to tell that the road passes just a few feet away.

The look on the rickshaw drivers face when eight of us ask if we can fit into two rickshaws; a feat Indians seem to accomplish with ease, but we only managed with much squeezing and laughter.

Walking confidently into our guesthouse in Jaipur only to realize that, in the dark, we had walked into a private home next door.


I have no doubt that we'll visit India again; there are still so many good memories waiting.

12 Comments:

At 3/20/06, 5:04 AM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

I love your mental photographs Lily, thank you so much for sharing them!

India has been on my "to-visit" list for a long time... but I'm terrible with crowds! At some point, I'll have to reconcile the two!

By any chance, did you get to see any dancing while in India? I studied a form of Indian Classical Dance called Orissi (from the region of Orissa), but each region has their own unique style of dance.

That must have been an amazing trip!

 
At 3/20/06, 7:30 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

Traveling is kinda like having a baby, lots of pain & discomfort during the process but at the end of it all you remember only the good parts. The photos help ensure that the memories don't fade, but it's the uncaptured moments that bring on that wistful feeling when reminiscing about past travels.

 
At 3/20/06, 9:23 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

jlb, thanks. It was fun remembering them and it was an amazing trip.

One of the things that amazed me about India is the huge amount of open coutryside and small towns. There's no need to spend more than an day or two in large cities and we were really glad we'd hired a car and driver for part of the trip because we saw so much more than from the train.

The only dancing we saw was at a restaurant in Bikaner so I don't know how good a representation it was.

Crystal, well said. :)

 
At 3/23/06, 12:00 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Thanks JB, high praise, indeed.

That's one of my favorite memories also. I could have spent all day at the market, exploring the twists and turns.

 
At 3/23/06, 7:57 PM, Blogger Mridula said...

Lily, I was wondering that if we would see more of your India writing! I am glad you shared this. For me, always living here gives me a different perspective.

And next time you come to India, do let us know and maybe we should trek together someplace. And when you visit again, come in June and go to Ladakh. That is a truly amazing place.

 
At 3/24/06, 7:11 AM, Blogger Modigliani said...

I loved born into brothels, but I think my dvd copy had subtitles on it. I would really have been lost without it. The movie really hit me. It was amazing to take a glimpse into their world. It really felt like such a different place. It must have been amazing to watch it with the experience of having been to that country and knowing first hand what it's like to be there.

 
At 3/24/06, 2:11 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Mridula, I could dedicate an entire blog just to that one trip, there was so much to see. That's why I like to show people around when they come to visit –– it lets me see the place I live through fresh eyes.

I would love to go trekking with you. Thanks to your pictures and stories, Ladakh is definitely on the list.

Mo, I thought it was really strange that our copy didn't have subtitles. Maybe I'll look for a copy that does. It really brought back a lot of memories of our trip. By the way, I looked into the photos they were selling and they're really expensive! I guess they're shooting for the New York gallery set with far more money than I have.

 
At 3/29/06, 1:30 PM, Blogger Modigliani said...

Too bad the photos aren't more accessible price-wise. Maybe they would do some more affordable options like postcards, mini prints, or calendars?

Although I know the proceeds go toward helping these children, am I warped to think it's a sort of exploitation to sell their photos at such high prices? I think the woman who started this is fantastic, and has done some great work for these kids. I just hope the money really does go back to the kids for their education and futures.

 
At 3/29/06, 6:05 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

I was a little surprised at the lack of pricing options. And a limited edition set for $10,000?! Sheesh. Something about it does seem a little off. Maybe it's the contrast between the kids lives and the lives of the people who can afford to buy these prints. I just have a mental image of the stereotypical bored, country-club, benefit-hoppers.

I think I remember soemthing about 100% of the money going to the kids, although that may have changed in the last couple of years.

 
At 4/1/06, 4:54 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I loved this post - and I hope I can see you write more on India. It gives a different perspective all together. And I am sure you are likely to cherish these memories a lot more than the photographs themselves.

 
At 4/2/06, 9:51 AM, Blogger Rozanne said...

Great post. I find Indian culture fascinating, and have always wanted to visit. I've also been wanting to see that Born in the Brothels movie. I missed it when it came to Portland.

I know what you're saying about travelers amnesia. It sets in way too quickly. I always wish I'd keep a travel diary for that reason, but I rarely have the energy to do it at that end of the day. :(

Thanks for sharing your wonderfully vivid memories. I could totally picture the little girl in Rajasthan. What an evocative image!

Thanks for your comment on my blog.

 
At 4/3/06, 1:59 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Emma, we're already talking about when we can come back. While I could never capture all the memorable moments with a camera, I'm glad to have the pictures to remind me of what was going on at the time. The memories here though, and many others, need no prompting to remember.

Rozanne, thanks for stopping by. It was an amazing trip and there's a lot we miss about India. I managed to keep a travel diary of sorts, although not as well as I'd hoped. It was just so overwhelming to try to put into words everything we saw and experienced every day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home