Monday, April 03, 2006

Third Beach

Last weekend we decided to get out of the house and stretch our legs, so we drove out to the coast and hiked to the imaginatively named Third Beach. It's fairly easy 1-mile hike, but it takes me three times longer than the average person to complete because I stop constantly to examine my surroundings and take a dozen pictures of the same thing. At one point I asked Tom – a power hiker – if it made him crazy that I stopped all the time. After a pause he said, "No, because that means you're enjoying yourself." Aw, I don't care if he was lying, that was sweet.


We managed to get there just before the tide was reaching its lowest ebb and walked down the beach to find a sheltered spot to eat our lunch. Third Beach is one of my favorite beaches in the area because it's close to home, easy to get to – but never crowded – beautiful, and there are plenty of places to explore, especially at low tide. We've even been lucky enough to find a glass float there.

There are several streams and small rivers that flow into the ocean at Third Beach. The waterfall in the picture above is one that falls over the cliffs at the south end. We decided to turn north from the trailhead, which meant crossing a wide stream that flowed across the beach and must either be crossed at the top, where there are logs spanning it, or at the bottom, where it spreads and becomes shallow.

I decided to tiptoe gently through it at the bottom, but ended up crashing across in a particularly ungraceful style. Tom tried it jump it a little higher up and forgot to calculate for the poor take-off the soft sand would cause, and fell a little short. Of course, neither of us brought a change of shoes, so we both walked around with soggy feet for the rest of the day.

The low tide left most of the rocks, and the critters on them, exposed to our curiosity and the seagull's appetites. I saw several seagulls attempting the nearly impossible feat of eating a starfish.

This extreme act of greed involves a lot of juggling of the starfish to find the exact angle that will allow a creature with five arms, all pointing in different directions, to slide down a narrow chute. The job is complicated by other opportunistic seagulls who will steal that tasty morsel in an unguarded heartbeat.

Now, I know that many people dislike seagulls, but they're one of my favorite birds. They have huge personalities, are actually pretty smart and are survivors. They're like the weeds of the bird world.



At the north end of the beach is a rocky point that is only exposed at the lowest tides. Of all the times we've hiked to Third Beach, this was the first time we were able to go around the point. We were rewarded with a hidden cove with large rocks, lots of tidepools and its own stream.

While Tom decided to explore around the next point, I poked around in the tidepools, looked for hidden treasures under the rocks, watched eagles soaring far out over the ocean and tried not to fall in the water with my camera. Eventually it was time to head back to the main beach, before the tide rose high enough to trap us in the cove.

Because of the high number of cargo ships and fishing boats that pass the Oregon and Washington coasts, there is always something to find, caught among the driftwood. We usually play an informal game of "If I Was Stuck On A Deserted Beach..." and I've come to the conclusion that if you got lucky and landed on the right beach, you could make a nice life for yourself.

This time there were an unusually high number of rubber gloves. I even found a matching pair just a few feet from each other. Because no trip to the beach is complete without creating "art" from our found objects:

Sadly, there were no dried clumps of eelgrass anywhere to use for hair.

On the hike out I stopped to take pictures so many times, Tom finally reminded me that if we planned to get to the car before the sun went down, we had to keep moving. One of these days we're going to spend three or four days doing a long hiking and camping trip down the coast. Anyone interested?

10 Comments:

At 4/4/06, 2:43 AM, Blogger christina said...

Great pictures! You're so right about seagulls having personalities. When I was a kid in Vancouver we lived close to the beach and had the same seagull visit our deck all the time. Talk about a character.

 
At 4/4/06, 5:30 PM, Blogger Modigliani said...

Wow! 3rd beach sounds and looks SO COOL! So, did the seagulls actually get the starfish down their throats?! That's pretty amazing if they were able to do it.

The gloves cracked me up!

 
At 4/6/06, 5:31 AM, Blogger Mridula said...

Lily, such lovely pictures and with the ease you can escape to such beautiful spots, makes me envy you! We are heading for a trek sometime in ay end June beginng, but till then, no travel for me!

 
At 4/6/06, 1:52 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Christina, seagulls crack me up. We had one at a rehab center I worked at that liked being served his meals so much, he refused to leave when we released him. He would just follow us around like a dog.

Mo, I could hang out on Third Beach for days. I guess they must get a starfish down every once in a while although none of them did while I was watching. The gloves were a little morbid, but they cracked us up, too.

Mridula, being so close to these places is what makes the tradeoff of few shopping, dining and cultural options worthwhile. June seems like too long to wait for your next trip! :(

 
At 4/9/06, 11:55 AM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

This was a great post Lily! For me: where there's water, there's wet Jade! I ALWAYS manage to fall in, slip in, or otherwise jump in to every puddle, stream, and slip of water no matter how large or small.

I know just what you mean about seagulls - they ARE intelligent, aren't they? I used to ride the ferry to and from Seattle every day, and they were constant companions. By the way, GREAT star fish picture - I love it. Aren't star fish some of the most beautiful creatures around?

Oh, and I love the rubber glove effect. Nice touch.

 
At 4/10/06, 2:18 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

A good hike is the perfect way to kick off the spring/summer season and I'm really looking foward to exploring the nearby coastline later this year. I grew up mostly in Virginia Beach, VA and now that I'm living only a 4hr drive or so away, I am excited to get back down there to check it out. Third Beach seems wonderful, very photogenic and it's awesome to find a place void of the crowd-crush.

 
At 4/11/06, 7:45 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

JLB, I always manage to get wet too, so I usually bring a change of clothes, but not this time.

I love watching the seagulls coasting along with the ferry. I wonder if they follow it back and forth or just commute with the rest of the folks?

I agree with you about starfish, and thanks. :)

Hi Crystal, good to see you again. It definitely feels good to get out after being cooped up for the winter. I've never been to Virginia, so I'll look forward to seeing your pictures eventually.

One of the great things about the Pacific Northwest is that the majority of the coast is fairly undeveloped, so you can usually find a place all to yourself.

 
At 4/12/06, 2:05 PM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

Based on my rather unscientific observations, I have seen that some of the seagulls do in fact follow a ferry back and forth throughout the day.

Others commute one-way, stopping in at one port or the other to snack on the fries that the humans love to toss out car windows. :)

And then there are the bold few who choose to roost and even nest on the "floating concrete" affixed with old tires that serve as big "ferry bumpers."

Yeah, you can say it - I spent WAY too much time on the ferry!!! :D Apart from some killer sunrises, I can't say I miss the ferry.

 
At 4/13/06, 5:46 PM, Blogger Rozanne said...

I need to get out to the beach myself! I discovered tide pools for the first time last spring (I'm relatively new to the PNW) and they just held me spellbound, esp. the sea stars.

Sea gulls are right up there w. crows and Canadian geese on the bird personality chart.

Why are there so many rubber gloves on Third Beach? That seems very odd and somewhat ominous to me.

 
At 4/14/06, 10:59 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

JLB, I've seen the nests on the ferry bumpers and the little fuzzballs inside. A new generation of ferry followers perhaps?

Fortunately for me, I don't have to ride the ferry daily, so it's still fun. :)

Rozanne, the Oregon coast has some great tidepools. As a kid I would spend hours exploring out there. Anemones were another favorite.

Ooh, you're right about crows and Canadian geese. There are always flocks of geese waddling around the waterfront here.

I don't know why there were so many rubber gloves this time, but there's a lot of shipping and fishing traffic along the coast and they get thrown over or washed off the boats. There was also more than the usual amount of driftwood, so maybe a late storm?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home