Monday, October 10, 2005

All is right with the world again


I FINALLY found my camera! It managed to wedge itself firmly under the driver seat of my car and the only way I could see it was by nearly standing on my head with my face mashed up against the seat. It feels like a missing limb has been restored. It's similar to losing my left hand; I could get along without it, but I'd really rather have it. Although if I really did lose my hand, I'd want one of those cool hooks. Or maybe the kind that you can screw different attachments into.

I knew a guy in Arizona who had lost both his hands by grabbing a live electrical wire and he had them replaced by hooks. He had a spot carved out of one wrist that he glued a watch face into and he handed out business cards that gave his title as "The Town Hooker."

Anyway, as I've driven around town lately I've been wanting to take pictures of the fall leaves, so that's exactly what I did.

Edited to add: In all seriousness, I really do think it's amazing what people can do after losing appendages. Most people have probably heard about Aron Ralston who cut off his own arm after being pinned under a boulder for several days. His hand has now been replaced by a prosthesis that he can switch for various climbing equipment. Talk about taking advantage of a bad situation. Tom Whittaker is another great example of determination. In 1998 he was the first disabled person to summit Mt. Everest. I was lucky enough to work on the print campaign for the Ester-C Everest Challenge and watched their progress up the mountain daily.

4 Comments:

At 10/11/05, 5:41 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I heard about the Aron Ralston story on Dateline(?) and wow, he was incredibly brave and his survival is amazing! Great that you found your camera, FALL is such a photogenic time of year and I'm hoping to go up to Wisconsin sometime this month, to see the foliage changing.

 
At 10/12/05, 8:23 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Aron Ralston is an extreme case because of the choice he had to make. I just can't imagine being in that situation. I'm truly fascinated by how prosthetics work and I like to see someone with a "disability" (which is often interpreted as an inability) turn it around and absolutely kick ass.

The maples are especially colorful this year, so I was REALLY happy to find my camera in time to take some pictures.

 
At 10/13/05, 12:01 AM, Blogger Mridula said...

Loved the photograph and your musings too. Fall is never like this in my part of the globe. So these pictures look even more beautiful to me.

 
At 10/18/05, 10:14 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Mridula, the transition from summer to fall is one of my favorite times because of all the color. I also look forward to new growth in the spring. It's one of the rewards for having to live with the cold of winter.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home