Sunday, September 11, 2005

Spider!

This morning I was putting the dishes in the dishwasher and after lifting the last plate out of the sink, I uncovered a GIANT spider. How I managed to not sling the plate across the kitchen, I have no idea. Now, understand that I am terrified of spiders. No other creature on earth can petrify me with absolutely no effort the way a spider can. I've come to terms with smallish spiders and the garden variety ones, but this spider was special.

I have no idea what kind of spider it was –– I didn't stick around long enough to get its name –– but my mom, who happens to be visiting, was also impressed by its monstrous size and appearance. After an extended shrieking fit failed to move my husband from in front of the football game, I hollered for him to get into the kitchen to perform his official duty of Spider Remover. Even after the beast was removed, I felt tears come to my eyes. That little horror really scared me! When I mentioned I was going to cry, my mom chuckled a little. "No, I really have to go cry for a minute," I said.

I spent several minutes huddled on the couch recovering from the shock. Telling my husband that I wasn't going back into the kitchen for a couple of months just made him laugh. He thinks I'm kidding.

5 Comments:

At 9/11/05, 10:06 PM, Blogger Mridula said...

So sorry that you had such a fright. The football game part is the other way round in my home, I am the sports buff. Last night, morning actually I watched the US open till 5.00 in the morning on TV and now I am sleepy beyond words!

Do hold your threat of not entering the kitchen, though. The idea seems so nice.

 
At 9/12/05, 10:59 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

My husband is absolutely TERRIFIED of spiders! I'm sure he would have had a panic attack too if he'd seen a big one hiding in the kitchen.

 
At 9/13/05, 12:21 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Mridula,
I don't think the football game was all that important, he just knew that I was screaming about a spider and he never moves all that fast to "rescue" me. We both love sports, but I'm sure I would be up in a second if I heard him screaming the way I was.

I guess I'll have to go back in the kitchen. Otherwise we'll probably have hot dogs, tacos and pizza for the next two months.

Crystal,
I sympathize with your husband. I know, for me, it's an irrational fear based on nothing (that I can remember) but it's very strong. I don't think I've ever freaked out that badly though. Partly it was the thought that I came so close to touching it when I picked up the plate. I almost wish I had gotten a picture of it.

 
At 9/14/05, 10:37 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

For a friend of mine, it's snakes that send her over the edge. She says the fear is getting worse as she gets older, too.

I read your Room 101 post. I'll have to read 1984 again. At least you have a reason for your fear. I can't think of a single justification for mine. And I just may become a fan of Lepidoptera Lady.

I remember a dream I had several years ago about the trial scene at the end of Alice in Wonderland where the cards fly up all around her. I was Alice, but instead of playing cards, they were spiders. I woke up feeling them still crawling all over me and had to sleep with the light on the rest of the night.

 
At 9/15/05, 10:33 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Yeah, not a dream I would recommend to anyone.

Thanks for the links to Lepidoptera Lady and Malachite. I've started reading back through her archives now.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home