Wednesday, August 02, 2006

Friends

An old friend called the other day. The last time we spoke was during an exchange of letters not long before I left Arizona, more than five years ago. She also moved at about the same time and in the process we lost touch with each other. The occasional internet search turned up nothing on her, but as it turned out, she's also been looking for me and finally found my number.

We met through a mutual friend our senior year of high school and became inseparable immediately. Before high school ended her family moved away, reinforcing my long-held belief that to make a friend was to lose them sooner rather than later. Sounds depressing, but I seem to have a knack for making friends with people who soon move to the opposite side of the earth. When it happens often enough, you develop a real complex about it.

We managed to keep in touch through sporadic letters (these were the pre-internet days) and she was one of two bridesmaids in my wedding. My best friend since the age of eight couldn't be there because she was pregnant and on bed rest with her second child and another bridesmaid decided a trip to Brazil was a better option than a wedding. She was always unreliable, but still: not helping the complex.

Anyway, it was really great catching up with my old high school friend again. Other than the fact that she has a four-year-old son, it was like no time had passed at all. It was good to know that some people will still be your friend, no matter how much time you've lost.

4 Comments:

At 8/2/06, 11:12 AM, Blogger kitty kat said...

I wish I still talked to a few of my high school friends. You're lucky to have each other.

 
At 8/2/06, 1:25 PM, Blogger Carol said...

That's how you can tell a lifelong friend! Love those! :-)

Carol

 
At 8/4/06, 11:33 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I grew up a military kid so I definitely know a thing or two about losing friends who "move to the opposite side of the earth". I don't know a single person from my childhood, I moved from Virginia Beach to Arkansas in the middle of my sophomore year in High School and I never really bonded with the kids at the new school. Last weekend Robi & I went to Virginia Beach, it's only 3hrs away now, and I got so many butterflies in my stomach to see my old neighborhood and schools etc.! It has been like a dream to me for all these years, I left that place over 13yrs ago but everything is nearly exactly the same. I could see the streets where I'd bicycle down to the 7-11 all summer with my friends, I hung out on the famous boardwalk at the beach where I'd go as a kid, it was just amazing. I love looking back on old times, catching up with people, and I guess in some ways I started my blog to kind of document my life. Because when you don't have childhood friends and long-time buddies to reminisce with over the past, things just slip away. Same goes for my trip to Africa, I didn't have Robi there to share it with me, so I have to blog about it while it's fresh in my memory.

 
At 8/6/06, 10:08 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Kitty Kat and Carol, welcome! I'm only in touch with a few old friends, but they're very special and I'm grateful to have them.

Crystal, that lifestyle seems like it would be so hard. My mom grew up being lucky to finish out a school year at one school so it was really important to her to let me stay in one place.

I'm an only child so I know what you mean when you say, "when you don't have childhood friends and long-time buddies to reminisce with over the past, things just slip away." I often wonder how much I've forgotten of the past.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home