Monday, July 17, 2006

Mmmm, meat.

Pot roast was on sale the other day so I bought a couple, had them sliced thin and made a big batch of beef jerky. For us, jerky is a road trip staple, but so expensive that I prefer to make my own.

When I was a kid, my grandma used to make her own jerky. Knowing how much I liked it she would have a batch waiting for me every Christmas. Yes, meat is a perfectly acceptable, and in fact welcome, gift in our family. I was given bacon for my eighth birthday...but that's another story.

Hunting, fishing and gardening was both a pleasure for my grandparents and a way to feed five children. When my grandpa built their garage, he made an entire room at the back for storing canned goods. There were rows and rows of peaches, pears, applesauce, green beans, corn, tomatoes and stewed venison, all grown, caught and canned by my grandparents.

My grandma made jerky by drying it at a low temperature in the oven, but I use a dehydrator. I marinate the meat overnight then dry it for 6-8 hours, depending on the thickness of the slices. It's a small thing, but in the age of convenience, canning and preserving my own food makes me feel more connected to slower times and my family's way of life.

Marinade
I'm usually a measure-it-by-eye style of cook, so this is more of a rough guide than a recipe. All measurements are approximate and are open to interpretation.

3 cups Yoshida sauce (original)
2 tbsp Honey mustard
1 tbsp Cidar vinegar
1 tbsp Olive oil
2 tsp Italian herbs (dried)
1 tsp Worchestershire sauce
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 seasoning salt

I prefer more peppery jerky, so I grind pepper over the top of the strips as I lay them in the dehydrator.

4 Comments:

At 7/18/06, 6:27 AM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

That sounds like so much fun - I've never tried making jerky before.

I know just what you mean about connecting with things which we create - there is so much to be gained from growing, preparing, and preserving our own food, and ditto for all sorts of other basics in life!

I'll have to give this a try! What do you like to use for a marinade? Vinegar and spices? Something more elaborate?

 
At 7/20/06, 9:38 AM, Blogger Crystal said...

I've always wondered exactly WHY is beef jerky so darn expensive! I love it, it's good for road trips and is a great non-carb snack, so maybe I'll get around to making my own like you. As JLB asked, please provide hints on a good marinade if you don't mind. Thanks!

 
At 7/21/06, 1:58 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

JLB, jerky is so easy to make. The trick is in not overdrying. It should be firm, but not brittle.

It wouldn't be practical to try and raise all our own food, but I prefer fresh from the garden (who doesn't) and knowing exactly what went into its growth. It may sound silly, but I feel somehow closer to our food and I appreciate it more when I've watch the plants grow, flower and become tomatoes, peas, eggplant, etc.

Crystal, I've wondered the same thing. A basic dehydrator is pretty inexpensive and I use it to dry fruit, tomatoes and fresh herbs, among other things. It sure makes the kitchen smell good!

I've added a basic maride recipe to the post, but it's easy to adjust to suit your individual taste.

 
At 7/21/06, 2:59 PM, Blogger Jade L Blackwater said...

That doesn't sound silly at all Lily - I identify with that sentiment completely! Thanks for the marinade and the recipe - have a great weekend!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home