Saturday, December 17, 2005

Driving in India...it really is different.

Driving in India is conducted like a national game of Chicken where everyone has agreed not to hit each other, but only to come as close as is humanly possible. Even the animals seem to be in on the "rules".

The lines on the road, if there are any, are fluid boundaries and more than one vehicle may share a lane -- even while going in opposite directions. Horns are used to signal one's approach, before going around corners, to claim right-of-way, or for no apparent reason at all. While the noise this creates is tolerable as a passenger it is deafening as a pedestrian. Turn signals are not so much for signaling your own direction, but to let the approaching driver know he needs to move out from in front of you.

Our driver told us that to drive in India you need three things: "Good horn, good brakes and good luck."

5 Comments:

At 12/18/05, 9:23 AM, Blogger Ram said...

Liked your observation about the game of "Chicken"
Even the animals seem to be in on the "rules"

It's been over 10 years since I drove in India. Now that I've had the opportunity to drive in several countries, maybe I can screw up my courage and try my luck on the roads in India.

 
At 12/19/05, 6:18 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Hi Ram, driving in India would take more courage than I have. I'm content to be just a spectator. :)

 
At 12/20/05, 1:07 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, this post is hilarious!
I've heard from my fellow indian students that the first thing even we Indians notice after returning to India is the honks & traffic :D

I'll be going back to India next week after around 1.5 yrs.. looking forward to the fun!

 
At 12/21/05, 11:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lily, though I do not honk (that much) but I agree with your driver, you need good luck on Indian roads.

 
At 12/25/05, 3:47 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Hi Sameer,
You're probably back by now; what do you think of the traffic and horns?

Mridula,
Fortunately we've had very good luck so far. The closest call we had was when an antelope jumped out in front of us, but the driver had excellent reflexes. Now we're at the mercy of the public transport sytem!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home