Wednesday, November 09, 2005

I’m so excited. . .I guess that makes me a geek

Introducing the latest addition to my little technology family:

A brand-spankin’ new 17" widescreen Powerbook. This will make it possible to take the magazine files with me during proof checks and make immediate changes instead of traveling back and forth and making changes when I get home, emailing them to the publishers for approval and then off to the printers. It will also let me work while traveling, meaning that 2-month trip to New Zealand next winter can actually happen. I won’t be taking it to India, however, because we’re traveling extremely light there and this size laptop doesn’t fall into the extremely light category.

Speaking of India, we leave in 28 days. I’ve booked a hotel for the first three nights and after that it’s a big mystery. We went to get our polio vaccinations today and also to pick up our typhoid pills. They are a series of four pills that must be kept refrigerated, so they were given to us inside a styrofoam cooler with an ice pack, looking much like we had just been presented with a live organ (liver, anyone?). After all this, we really ought to be nearly invincible.

9 Comments:

At 11/10/05, 4:38 PM, Blogger Crystal said...

I am still debating whether to get a laptop, they seem a bit more high-maintenance but are much more convenient, especially for frequent travelers. India in 28 days! You must be incredibly excited! I hope you'll post more about the itinerary later ;-)!

 
At 11/10/05, 9:51 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

JB, The laptop should make my job easier (read possible) to do while I travel. If I had had it last year, I wouldn't have had to fly down to LA on Christmas Eve instead of going down with my husband a week earlier. I wish I could take it to India – wait, no I don't! This is a vacation!

And yeah, I'm sure there will be plenty of pictures, although I don't know how many I'll be able to upload before I get back.

Crystal, I didn't really hit me just how soon we're leaving until I typed 28 days. We're very excited, especially now that I've booked our hotel for the first few days. This is how much of our itinerary we've got planned: We fly into Delhi and fly out of Mumbai. We'll go to some wildlife parks, see the Taj Mahal and do some shopping. The rest is to be decided after we get there. Wheeeee!

 
At 11/11/05, 6:10 PM, Blogger Emma said...

I sent you an email....

 
At 11/12/05, 10:30 AM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Emma, thanks for your email.

 
At 11/14/05, 5:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

lily b, I need a little inspiration... I've read your post 'this post', I enjoyed it so I decided to comment. I've been thinking about my blog and how there are all these people posting strange comments there. Maybe you understand, I'm not sure, but it's tiring to read the numbers of comments that don't have much to do with my stuff. My normal dog house plans website never suffers this because it just sells dog house plans and isn't a blog. Do you have any ideas for how to stop the cluttering of non-relevant comments? Thanks for your great blog. Tips are always welcome...

good day -

 
At 11/14/05, 10:16 AM, Blogger Mridula said...

Lily, such a swank looking machine. I hope you have a fab time in India. You will get internet connection and a chance to upload pictures if you want in the major cities.

 
At 11/14/05, 11:58 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

cheap dog houses: Mmm-kay. Don't make me turn on word verification, but points for personalizing.

Mridula, I'm sure we'll have a great time. I know we'll have tons of access to computers while we're there, but I've also heard stories of how slow the connections can sometimes be. I'll definitely upload as much as I can, though.

 
At 11/20/05, 7:27 PM, Blogger Modigliani said...

Oooh! Exciting! Enjoy that super-size powerbook! I've got the 15" Powerbook and L-O-V-E it, Love it, love it! :)) Yippeeeeee.... They are so darn pretty, aren't they?!

And India, wow! All those med preps sound scary, though!

 
At 11/20/05, 8:11 PM, Blogger Amy N. said...

Aren't new toys fun? I would have gotten the 15" just to save a few pounds, but I'll be doing so much design work on it, the wider screen will be important.

Only 17 days left. I think all these potential diseases are so scary because for the most part we don't have to live with them anymore. As long as the vaccinations do their job, it's all worth it.

You must be getting close to your big day!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home